Geftinat 250 mg Tablets
Geftinat 250 mg is a generic (analogous) preparation of Iress, which has a high anticancer activity. The original tool is designed and manufactured in the US. Geftinat and Iressa have the same active substance in the composition, therefore they have the same useful properties. An important difference between these two drugs is the cost. Prices for generics are several times lower, so they are more affordable for the poor people of the planet. For a deeper study of the value of Geftinat, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with this article, which contains information on the beneficial properties of the active substance, the mechanism of action, and details the instructions for use.
A brief description of the anticancer agent:
- Title: Geftinat 250 mg.
- Manufacturer: Natco Pharma Limited.
- Country of origin: India.
- Status of the medicinal product: Generic.
- The proprietary name of the developer: Iressa (USA, AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP).
- The active substance of cytostatic action: Gefitinib.
- Packing content: 30 tablets.
- Dosage: 250 mg.
Indication for use in non-small cell lung cancer, in a locally advanced form or with metastases. As the first line of chemotherapy is used in the presence of the receptors of EGF (epidermal growth factor) mutations of the tyrosine kinase domain.
As a second-line drug, Gefitinib 250 mg is used in the progression of a tumor after an unsuccessful first line of chemotherapy or against its background, if the first line was carried out with drugs that contain derivatives of platinum or docetaxel, and as a result, the immunity of cancer cells to used drugs. Also approved as a drug of the third line of therapy.
It is rare that non-small cell lung cancer is diagnosed in the early stages – 1st and 2nd when the disease is easier to treat. More than 40% of cases – diagnosis of the fourth stage of the disease with metastases. In this case, therapy involves increasing the patient’s life expectancy, improving the quality of life by getting rid of symptoms, because there is practically no chance of a complete cure. Such therapy is conservative.
Gefitinib refers to drugs with relatively low toxicity, so it can be used to treat weakened and elderly patients.
He is allowed to admit in most countries of the world. However, it is not freely available, since it can exert a toxic effect on the body and has a high cost. The price of Gefitinib varies from 110 to 175 dollars (from 7000 to 11,200 rubles). It can vary depending on the supplier, as well as the shipping cost.
You can buy Gefitinib in some online pharmacies that have contracts for direct shipments with the manufacturer, directly on the manufacturer’s website, has issued an international delivery, or in the country of production. However, do not forget that this drug is dispensed by prescription.
Geftinat 250 mg Gefitinib components
Compositions of generic Geftinat and the original preparation of Iress are almost identical. Let’s describe the main components that are included in the formula of this chemical drug:
- Gefitinib 250 mg is an active ingredient. It is an inhibitor of the hyperactive transmembrane receptor of a particular protein, which stimulates cell growth, and mutations of which lead to the formation of cancer cells.
- Lactose monohydrate (245 mg) is a filler of a dosage form. It is used due to its low cost, high stability, and weak hygroscopicity.
- Microcrystalline cellulose (67 mg) is an emulsifier and a filler of a dosage form.
- Croscarmellose sodium (20 mg) is a disintegrant of the dosage form. It is used to increase the solubility of the active substance; it ensures a high bioavailability of the drug.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (6 mg) is a binder component, ensuring uniform mixing of dissimilar ingredients.
- Magnesium stearate (7 mg) is a stabilizer, a thickener and a filler of a dosage form.
- Polyvinylpyrrolidone K-30 (5 mg) is a binder that increases the solubility and bioavailability of the active ingredient.
The composition of the envelope includes the following components: 60% – hypromellose, 23% – titanium dioxide, 12% – polyethylene glycol, less than 5% – talc, less than 0.1% in aggregate – iron oxide red and yellow.
The composition Geftinat 250 Gefitinib provides the maximum possible bioavailability of the drug, directed action. The shell allows maintaining the integrity and shape of the tablet, and also provides a gradual and long-term dissolution of the tablets.
Useful properties of Geftinat 250 mg Gefitinib
The main effect of Gefitinib is aimed at blocking tyrosine kinase in the receptors of the epidermal growth factor. This mechanism allows achieving the following results: inhibition of tumor growth, a decrease in the probability or a slowing down of the rates of metastasis, inhibition of angiogenesis, acceleration of apoptosis of tumor cells.
The list of useful properties of Geftinat 250 mg Gefitinib also includes an increase in the antitumor activity of other chemotherapeutic drugs, along with the effectiveness of hormonal and radiotherapy is also increasing. Therefore, complex treatment takes precedence.
Do not forget that the effect of gefitinib is associated with an increase in the time of progression of the disease, i.e., an increase in the timing of remission or a period of relapse. These data are confirmed statistically.
Gefitinib advantageously differs from some similar drugs with less toxicity, which allows for reducing the list of contraindications, side effects. Due to this during the treatment, the patient’s quality of life is an order of magnitude higher than that of other drugs. However, this aspect does not affect the overall level of survival in the direction of decrease, so the performance indicators are at a sufficiently high level.
The objective response at the second and third lines of therapy is about 19%, which is almost 2.5 times more than with docetaxel. On the third and fourth lines of therapy, this indicator is lower and ranges from 9 to 12%. In this case, symptomatic improvement occurs already in the first days of chemotherapy.
A high degree of effectiveness is ensured by the optimal bioavailability of the drug, the average of which is 59%. However, it should be noted that the volume distribution of the active substance indicates its extensive nature. In other words, from the excessive increase in the amount of the drug in the tissues, its effectiveness does not increase.
The statistics are as follows: an increase in the daily dosage twice, ie, up to 500 mg, does not lead to an increase in efficacy, but increases the toxicity of therapy, the risk of side effects and the level of total intoxication of the body.
An interesting fact: the antitumor effect is more often recorded in those patients who, during the treatment of Geftinat 250 Gefitinib, had a side effect such as a skin rash.
Chemotherapy is associated with a high risk of intoxication of the body, which affects the vital organs, worsening the general well-being of the patient. Because of this, any antitumor drug has a number of contraindications and can have some side effect, worsening the quality of life.
The most important contraindication is self-medication. After all, the patient is not able to assess the benefit-harm ratio of this medication. Before applying, a thorough examination by a medical specialist in oncology is required, which will carry out the necessary diagnostic procedures, take into account the general condition of the patient and prescribe additional medications or medical procedures. Therapy should also take place under the supervision of a doctor.
The main contraindications: pregnancy, the period of gestation and lactation, children’s age until the age of 18 and the presence of allergies to the active substance or ancillary components.
Instructions for Use Geftinat 250 Gefitinib
Instruction for Geftinat 250 Gefitinib is intended to familiarize patients with the effect of the drug and is not a recommendation for self-treatment.
- The daily dosage of the active ingredient of the anti-cancer drug Geftinat is 250 mg. It is prescribed regardless of the patient’s condition, age, sexual or racial affiliation, kidney function or liver failure in either of two forms (moderate or severe) associated with metastatic liver damage, body weight.
- The missed dose can be drunk only if there are more than 12 hours remaining until the next tablet is taken.
- It is forbidden to exceed the daily dose, t. this is fraught with increased toxicity of the drug.
- You should not divide the pill into parts, you need to use it whole.
- Short-term interruption of treatment is possible with the development of poorly treatable diarrhea, as well as when there are negative reactions from the skin. The duration of the break should not exceed 14 days. The resumption of the course of therapy occurs with an initial dosage of 250 mg.
- The drug is taken regardless of the food intake, to. food does not affect its bioavailability. It should be taken into account that the bioavailability of the drug is affected by the high acidity level of the gastric juice, reducing the index to 47%.
- During therapy and within 3-4 months after the end of treatment, the patient and his sexual partner should use reliable contraceptives.
How to buy geftinat 250 mg tablet from India, learn about the availability of medications, the online price of geftinat tablets in India and order delivery?