Gemcitabine is used for:
Treating certain types of cancer, including cancers of the ovary, pancreas, lung, and breast. Gemcitabine may be used alone or with other cancer medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Gemcitabine is an antimetabolite. It works by preventing certain proteins from being made that are necessary for tumor growth
Do NOT use gemcitabine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in gemcitabine
- you are receiving radiation therapy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using gemcitabine:
Some medical conditions may interact with gemcitabine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bone marrow problems, liver or kidney problems, or diabetes
- if you drink alcohol regularly or have a history of alcohol abuse
- if you have recently received or will be receiving radiation therapy