Veenat 100 mg is a new generation drug that belongs to the pharmacological group of antineoplastic agents. Its cytotoxic properties are determined by the nature of the effect on the specific mutated enzyme-BCR-ABL-dependent tyrosine kinase, which is an important product for tumor growth in chronic myelogenous leukemia. The article describes detailed information about the drug, which is not an indication for self-treatment. Admission should only be carried out by the doctor’s prescription!
Veenat 100 mg Imatinib
The main characteristics of the medicinal product Veenat:
- The trade name is Veenat 100 mg Imatinib.
- The active substance is Imatinib (Imatinib mesylate). It was discovered in the late 90’s as a result of research by an international group of scientists.
- Form release – capsules.
- The quantity in the package is 120 pieces.
- Manufacturer – Natco Pharma LTD (India).
Indications for use: all stages of chronic myelogenous leukemia (chronic phase, a period of exacerbation of the disease, blast crisis) in the absence of any treatment or after an unsuccessful therapy with interferon alfa, as well as inoperable and/or metastatic malignant gastrointestinal stromal tumors detected in adult patients.
Clinical studies show that Veenat 100 Imatinib provides a high percentage of achieving complete remission of the disease. The drug gives good results in the monotherapy.
You can buy Veenat 100 mg Imatinib from the online pharmacy or from the official representatives of the company that produces this medicine, which also often works via the Internet.
The price of Imatinib from Natco Pharma differs from 200 to 230 dollars (14200-16200 INR) per one package.
Composition and components:
Veenat 100 includes one active substance and several auxiliary substances. Let us describe them in more detail:
- Imatinib. The active substance is in the form of mesylate.
- Microcrystalline cellulose. It is used as a filler of a medicinal product.
- Lactose. Milk sugar, used as a diluent.
- Crospovidone. A substance that promotes a faster dissolution of the contents of the capsule in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Anhydrous colloidal silicon. Increases the accuracy of dosing at the production stage by improving the flowability of the substance.
- Purified talcum powder. It is a source of silicon and magnesium.
- Magnesium stearate. Used to create a homogeneous mixture of all the components of the drug.
Such composition Veenat 100 Imatinib provides excellent characteristics of the drug, including high dissolution rate, increased bioavailability of the active substance (up to 98%), and extended shelf life.
Veenat 100 Imatinib Useful:
Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) is a fairly rare disease, characterized by the development of malignant tumors in the hematopoietic system. The rate of its progression is quite slow if compared with acute leukemia, so the name has the word “chronic”. Risk group for the onset of CML: the elderly, children are less likely to be affected by the disease, but there are cases of lesions at any age.
The mechanism of the disease is quite interesting. When infected in cells, a mutation of two chromosomes takes place – 9 and 22. From each of them, the areas are separated and are interchanged: the 9th site is attached to 22, and the detached from the 22nd part is attached to the 9th. The most important role in the development of CML is played by the altered chromosome. It is also called the Philadelphia or abnormal BCR-ABL gene, the process of which is called “translocation”.
It is known that a normal protein produces the necessary enzyme tyrosine kinase, and when an abnormal gene is formed, a mutated enzyme is synthesized, which is the cause and means of degeneration of cells into malignant ones. Thanks to it, the aging and death of leukemia cells are blocked, and their release into the blood from the bone marrow is increased.
The useful properties of Veenat 100 Imatinib are the ability of the active substance to block the hybrid enzyme tyrosine kinase, the gene of which is within the Philadelphia chromosome.
Imatinib acts selectively, influencing the process of proliferation, i.e. proliferation of malignant tissue, which gradually leads to the death of cells that have a mutated gene, as well as leukemia cells.
Inhibitor preparations cannot help but have contraindications, because their effect is not fully understood, and cases of undesirable side effects of varying severity have been documented.
The most important limitation is the presence of hypersensitivity to the active substance or any of the auxiliary components. One should pay attention to the presence of lactose in the composition of people suffering from its intolerance.
Contraindications Veenat 100 Imatinib are also associated with age. It is not recommended to use the drug to treat children under the age of 3 because the necessary studies were not performed on this group of patients.
For females bearing the fetus, the recommendations are habitual: the potential risk for fetal development and the benefits of taking the medicine for the health of the mother should be taken into account. But it is worth remembering that experiments on rats led to stillbirths or the appearance of nonviable offspring.
Women of childbearing age and their sexual partners should observe precautions to prevent conception. In addition, Imatinib penetrates into breast milk, so during treatment, it is necessary to limit breastfeeding so as not to harm the baby.
Negative reactions of the body to taking the drug are mostly dose-dependent if individual intolerance has not been documented.
In general, Imatinib side effects can be presented in the following form:
- Gastrointestinal tract: nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, bleeding, constipation, dyspepsia, abdominal pain.
- Musculoskeletal: muscle spasms, bone and muscle pain, arthralgia, myalgia.
- Water balance: fluid retention in the body, which can lead to the appearance of pleural effusion, pulmonary edema, ascites, pericardial effusion, and swelling of the subcutaneous tissue.
- Nervous system: a headache, dizziness, hemorrhage, insomnia (insomnia), fainting, seizures, drowsiness, migraine, memory impairment, depression.
- Skin: rash, itching.
- Metabolism: weight gain, hypo- and hyperkalemia, anorexia, gout, appetite disorder, increased uric acid levels.
- Respiratory system: a cough, dyspnea, pharyngitis, nasopharyngitis, pneumonia, sinusitis and other infectious diseases.
- Hematology: hematological toxicity was manifested in all observed cases by cytopenia, thrombocytopenia, neutropenia, anemia, oppression of bone marrow hematopoiesis.
- Hepatology: a rare increase in the level of transaminases, bilirubin.
- Cardiovascular system: heart failure, tachycardia, arterial hypertension, hot flashes, cold extremities, pericarditis.
- Visual organs: increased lachrymation, eye irritation, conjunctivitis, edema (macular and papillary), hemorrhages, glaucoma.
- Urinary system: renal failure, frequent urination, kidney pain.
- Reproductive system: gynecomastia, swelling of the scrotum, decreased potency, breast enlargement, pain in the nipples.
Among other things, side effects such as fever, anxiety, chills, flu, and dizziness are less evident. The intensity and frequency of side effects from taking Imatinib depend on the stage of the disease and the dose of the drug used.